Yesterday was my 30th birthday. My mom was 30 when she had me, and to me, that age sounds so ADULT and GROWN UP. And yet, do I feel all grown up? Sometimes yes and sometimes no. It's weird to say good-bye to my 20s and enter a whole new decade and age category.
I loved my 20s. When I think about the 20s, they really span such a huge amount of time. In my early 20s, I was somewhat of a wild child (although very tame compared to many) and had tons of fun. And then my mid-2os were about settling into married life and traveling and working. And then my late 20s were about getting pregnant and starting a family and entering a whole new phase of life. I've always felt like the 20s are a huge time of change and self-discovery and coming into your own, and I thoroughly enjoyed them.
And the 30s? Those seem to me like they will be filled with kids and family life and sports, school, and carpools. And completing our family, whether it be 2 or 3 kids. And more travel as they get older. As I turn 30, Asher is almost 2 1/2. In another 10 years, when I turn 40, he will be 12 going on 13, and this baby will be about to have a 10th birthday. Crazy!
I've really worked hard to try to embrace aging rather than dreading it. What good does it to do dread it anyway? As I see it, life only gets better. I like to think that I am a more patient person than I was 10 years ago (although still have a ways to go and am constantly a work in progress!). I have tons of stuff to look forward to as we watch our kids grow, and new adventures await.
So bring it on, 30. I'm ready for you!
I loved my 20s. When I think about the 20s, they really span such a huge amount of time. In my early 20s, I was somewhat of a wild child (although very tame compared to many) and had tons of fun. And then my mid-2os were about settling into married life and traveling and working. And then my late 20s were about getting pregnant and starting a family and entering a whole new phase of life. I've always felt like the 20s are a huge time of change and self-discovery and coming into your own, and I thoroughly enjoyed them.
And the 30s? Those seem to me like they will be filled with kids and family life and sports, school, and carpools. And completing our family, whether it be 2 or 3 kids. And more travel as they get older. As I turn 30, Asher is almost 2 1/2. In another 10 years, when I turn 40, he will be 12 going on 13, and this baby will be about to have a 10th birthday. Crazy!
I also think about the fact that I hear that losing weight and staying in shape after you turn 30 is harder...and wrinkles start to develop (although I already have a few forehead wrinkles - oy vey!). Basically, your body is not the font of youth that it once was. But there's still plenty of people who look amazing into their 30s, 40s, and beyond, so I'm not going to let those facts hold me back!
I've really worked hard to try to embrace aging rather than dreading it. What good does it to do dread it anyway? As I see it, life only gets better. I like to think that I am a more patient person than I was 10 years ago (although still have a ways to go and am constantly a work in progress!). I have tons of stuff to look forward to as we watch our kids grow, and new adventures await.
So bring it on, 30. I'm ready for you!
3 comments:
I'm afraid for what 30 could mean for my body, but in terms of stability and seeing my family grow I agree that 30 should be great!
I LOVE this post. You have a great attitude. I do the same thing about counting out 10 years from now and thinking where we will be. So fun and exciting to think about our futures!
(Hope you had a great birthday!)
I too love this post. I never forget what my mom says about her 30's. She says they were the best! It's like your kids are at good ages during that time and just overall it's a good time. It's funny that 30 kinda validates us as adults. I hope you have an awesome year and decade!!!!!!
Post a Comment