Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Name: As Yet Unknown

A really common and completely understandable question I get these days is, "Have you chosen a name?"

The short answer is No.

The long answer is that Eric won't really discuss it yet and hasn't even looked at the baby name book since he opened it briefly a few months back. This is a purposeful decision on his part because of the experience we had last time. We had thought of several names that we liked when I was pregnant with Asher. We shared all of our thoughts and ideas with family and friends. We didn't like all or most of the feedback we got, and it kind of took the wind out of our sails.

There may or may not have been one of my beloved family members who was especially vocal about her opinions. This is someone who will give you her opinion and won't hold back, and she just didn't like a lot of the names we were thinking of. This is someone whom I love very dearly and is a wonderful person but definitely can impact my decision-making (don't you love my horrible attempt at anonymity here?). I do like to make her happy when possible, and slowly, one by one, the names we had been thinking of began to lose their appeal.

It all worked out in the end, however, because we landed on the perfect name, and Asher was definitely the right name (and it also happened to be a name that my mom loved - oops did I just give that away?!). We didn't come across it until I was around 8 months pregnant, and Eric was the one who found it and just in time.

Because it worked out well last time, Eric wants to repeat this success by waiting until the 11th hour to even really start contemplating names. I have looked here and there and have come across a few names that I liked (most of which he shot down). I will tell you that if Eric had his way, this baby would be named Zoe, a name that he has loved for years (sorry to those out there who love that name, but it is not for me), but I vetoed that one back in 2007 when we thought Asher might be a girl.

So, hopefully we will have a name here soon, but don't expect it to be shared until this baby girl's birth. I hope to have it narrowed down to 2 or 3 names before we go to the hospital, and we plan on keeping those and our final choice secret until the big day.

A friend told me recently that she can't wait to find out what name we pick, and I had to chime in with, "Me too!"

5 comments:

Alison said...

I know I can leave this comment here because Colin doesn't read your blog and will never know - I tested out all my names on my Mom (this time and last time) even though it was supposed to be a secret!!!!

katina said...

I remember Alison refusing to tell anyone the name she and Colin chose (Lily) because they didn't want any feedback about it.

My mom and dad did the 11th hour thing with my sister. My mom liked Amy and my dad didn't so they finally named her Danielle a day or so after she was born. Oddly my parents had agreed on the name Tony if she was a boy, and my sister always asked why they didn't just stick with that and they said it was because they never thought of it.

I know my coworkers and even Sarah (of Marquez Family Blog) took a few days AFTER the baby was born to come up with a name. Always seems like it's the second kid who ends up nameless for a day or so when they're born. :)

Jennifer said...

I just think you're in luck this time that you're having a girl because coming up with another perfect boy name is hard! I knew Nevie was a girl from the get-go but I still had to come up with a name JUST IN CASE the sonogram showed boy bits. In my head nothing could compare with "Corben" so anyways - I truly can't wait to find out what you end up naming her! I promise I'll love it (not like that matters but still!). Just a few more weeks and we get to meet her! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jen said...

I totally agree with your decision to keep the name under wraps (once you decide what it is, of course!). We had the same thing happen, but it was with Rich's mom vetoing our decision, and it really bummed us out. Next time we will do the same thing.

Once she is here, and you have already named her, nobody who has any tact would ever consider telling you that they didn't like your name. I don't know why people feel comfortable telling us beforehand! :)

The Maples said...

Isn't it funny when people ask YOU what the name will be and you tell them, they think you were asking them for their opinion? "Oh, don't name them that. I knew a ----- in grade school and he was a real jerk." People are so liberal with their opinions when it comes to most things having to do with child rearing, and that's bad enough, but a name is such a personal thing! So I totally understand! And I'll add, you are really enjoying all the secrecy with this pregnancy, aren't you? Made us wait for the announcement, made us wait for the sex, now making us wait for the name! You sly little girl, you! =)