Saturday, November 21, 2009

Six Years

It's hard for me to believe that Eric and I have been married for 6 years today. Wow how time flies. It seems like just yesterday, I had graduated from college just a couple weeks prior and was living at home while looking for a job. I was looking forward to a night out with my older brother and his friends....there was one friend in particular I had my eye on but had met only once many years prior...his name was Eric (in case you hadn't guessed). It was December and he happened to home for the holidays from medical school.

That night, Eric and I chatted the night away, and we were really hitting it off. Later on, when a few of us went to a night club, he bought me some drinks, and we did a little dancing. And later still....there might have been a little bit of kissing going on in a dark corner of the club. I will neither confirm nor deny this possibility.

That was a great, fun night. When I went to bed later on, I could hardly sleep. Eric and I spent time together the next night (after he first checked with my brother to make sure it was okay, which it completely was), but the following night, he would fly back to North Carolina to finish his final semester of school. We decided that we wouldn't really keep in touch since we were on opposite coasts for the next several months. However, he called me two nights later, and we talked for hours. Pretty soon we were talking every single day despite what we had said. And a few weeks after that, Eric surprised me by flying out and taking me out for my 22nd birthday.

During the following months, we saw each other a few times, and it was clear that there were strong feelings. He ended up coming back to Arizona to do his residency, and we were inseparable after that.

We were married a year and a half after we met, and here we are now. The past 6 years have taught me that marriage is rewarding and also a lot of hard work, especially when work life is stressful, and once kids enter the picture. But it's also wonderfully fulfilling and indescribable to have someone who is always in your corner. Eric knows how to make me laugh, and he is always supportive and caring, especially when I need it the most. I'm so glad that we stick together no matter what, and he is truly my partner in all things. (Photos from May 2008, courtesy of Kathy Daly)

I am so fortunate to have such an awesome husband. He is also a really amazing dad, and that is so important to me. Watching Eric and Asher together melts my heart and puts a huge smile on my face.

I can't wait to see what the rest of our many years together bring!

3 comments:

katina said...

Happy Anniversary!

Jen said...

What a great romance story you have! Happy Anniversary!

Alison said...

Happy Anniversary. Colin and I had a similar "romantic" start(spring break!)