Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Feeling Ill

Not only am I not feeling sick from gorging myself on leftover birthday cake, I also don't feel so hot from our piling medical bills. In Arizona, we each had wonderful health insurance through our respective employers. We each only had to use the great benefits on occasion, but overall we still saved a decent amount of money. This past year we have had more emergency room visits and visits to the doctor than ever before, mainly due to having a child. Of course, now that we need it the most, we have the worst coverage we've ever had!

Not only do we have significant bills from Asher's trip to the ER (and ride in the ambulance) a while back with the goat milk incident, but when Eric ran to the ER on Sunday for his sliced finger, I immediately saw dollar signs in my head because I knew this would be another big expense in the making.

To top it off, we both got routine lab work done over the past couple months, and we are now being billed for it, only to discover that because we each used a laboratory ran by the hospital, it is being billed as a hospital charge, which falls under our deductible. Which means that each of these costs us $270! And Eric went back to that same lab last week for follow-up testing, so there's another charge waiting to be billed. If we had gone to an independent lab, it would have been covered 100%. It'd be nice if doctor's offices would know this and advise of benefits, but of course, that's just not the case. I was spoiled by the office in Tucson who always researched prior to making a recommendation. What I am discovering (not quite fast enough) is that prior to doing anything medical-related, we should call the insurance company and verify the cost. I am now discovering that urgent care is the way to go as opposed to ER, if at all possible, because that will save hundreds of dollars!

People often make the mistake of thinking that a doctor would have good insurance. The two have no relation whatsoever. If only! I just know that I miss my HMO with low co-payments and no deductibles.

I think I need a prescription of some sort to calm me down (and my teething child). Better call the insurance company first!

4 comments:

NealieBoBealie said...

Oh, if you only knew that you were preaching to the choir. I had a migrane on no insurance that cost us $1500. The baby, with insurance, cost us another $3000. Thank you overpriced, over-apr'ed loans! We'll probably never be out of debt, but we've got right now, all together. I hope that's what counts! :)

The Maples said...

It seems like those that work in the medical profession have the WORST insurance. It's like the shoemaker who didn't have any shoes, isn't it. Ain't it grand being a grown up. Can't we go back to being kids for a while, without all this responsibility??? =)

Meg said...

I hear ya, sistah! We've had mad medical bills too this year. We were told that that ambulance was "out of network". As if we could have called and checked and found another before calling 911 and specifying which ambulance company to send?

One recomendation. My DH's office has an insurance mediator on payroll. Best thing ever. They review all the claims and bills and have saved us thousands by negotiation and even finding faulty charges. If you can find a company like that, it could really pay off in the end. I'll find out who we've used and send it along...

Jennifer said...

Does Eric want to join the Navy? I know someone who can hook him up...there's Neurologist in the military too...No? Ok. This is what I dread about transitioning to civilian life. I fret and fret about stuff like this so even though I currently can't relate I can just feel your pain!!! Maybe Whole Foods has a tea or something?