Monday, May 10, 2010

Daughter of Mine

I've always wanted a daughter. Growing up in a family of boys, I always, always yearned for a sister. I even remember begging my mom to please adopt a girl so I could have one - how crazy is that?! I've always imagined the fun my daughter and I would have, especially when she was older - shopping trips, long talks, watching chick flicks, doing tons of girly stuff. Of course, I am not naive and know that the teenage years would be a challenge, but still, it would all be worth it. My mom and I butted heads a lot in high school, but we are so close now, and I love it.

When I was pregnant with Asher, Eric and I were both so thrilled to be having a boy. And when he was born, he was all I ever wanted and more. I can't imagine NOT having a boy...Asher is so fun and such a delight (for the most part - he is two after all!), and I love all the boy stuff that comes along with that - trucks and trains and playing ball and watching Eric and Asher do "boy" stuff together.

But still, I wanted my girl. I almost felt as though I wanted her so much that it just wouldn't happen (Murphy's Law, right?). When I was pregnant this last time, I felt like I was having a girl, but should I dare hope? I wasn't lying when I said I would have been happy with a boy. Any baby is such a huge blessing, and I would have been thrilled to have another little boy and a little brother for Asher. But, to have a girl....WOW. I knew that would be so amazing.

And now, here she is. I just marvel at the fact that yes, I really do have a daughter!Can't wait to watch you grow, baby girl!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Beautifully stated, Friend. I truly felt every word because I too feel the same thing. Each time Nevie brings me her shoes and holds her foot up to put them on, I feel that giddy feeling inside of having "my girl". I'm so happy you got your baby girl - one of each - because there's truly a special bond.

Jen said...

She is such a gorgeous baby girl too! And don't you just love all these fun girly accessories? (I love that hat!!!!)

Alison said...

I don't know anything else but I really love having little girls in my life. I guess I got my "boy" in Lily with her love of sports! Someday I dream of you and me and Jen going on a trip with all our girls!!!!