Monday, May 17, 2010

2 Month Check Up

Ava saw the pediatrician today for her 2 month check up. She's looking great! She weighs 12 pounds (77%) and is 23.5 inches long (86%), and her head is 15.5 inches (64%). Incidentally, Asher weighed a little over 2 pounds more than Ava does at this same age (he was quite the chunker in case you forgot!), but he was the same height, and his head size was off the charts (literally!).

Her skin is looking pretty good today, which is a relief because it was really red all over her face yesterday. She had a tough day and was pretty miserable, so I'm so glad to see that she's doing better today. The doctor was pleased as punch about her head control, which is good to know since she isn't a huge fan of tummy time. She really enjoys being held upright, though, and she gets some good neck exercise that way.She wakes up about 2-3 times a night, which is a big improvement over a month ago. Her first stretch at night ranges from 4-6 hours usually. When she wakes up, she will usually go right back to sleep after nursing. I feel fairly rested most days, which is a very good thing!

Her reflux hasn't been too bad at all. She can sometimes go several days without spitting up, and then she'll have a really big one out of nowhere. It doesn't seem to bother her too much when I lay her down on her elevated sleep positioner (what am I going to do when she can no longer use that thing?!), and if it does, she'll usually settle herself to sleep within a few minutes. So grateful for that!

Sometimes, when she wakes up early in the morning, I'll bring her into bed with me and nurse her while laying down. We'll then both fall back asleep for a little while while I am holding her. That is one of my favorite things ever since I just absolutely love cuddling with my kiddos.

Ava is becoming much more aware of her surroundings and has started to watch Asher and be more interested in what he's doing. She'll smile at him, and I can see that she will be really adoring her big brother very soon. I think these two are going to be really close, and I love that!

She makes the sweetest cooing noises and loves it when I smile at her and say her name. The biggest challenge to having two kids is giving each of them enough attention, so I try to give them individual attention when the other one naps. I really enjoy my Ava time during Asher's afternoon nap, and that's when we have our "heart to heart" chats where I tell her about all the fun things we'll do when she is older, such as going shopping and watching chick flicks. She really enjoys those talks. These first couple months have really flown by! And yet it's hard to remember life before Miss Ava joined us. We definitely are crazy about her that's for sure!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Wow, I can't believe it has been 2 months! She is gorgeous. Those morning nursing sessions in bed were my very favorite too!

Jennifer said...

Oh my gosh!!! Look at those smiles!!! I just adore her. You're a very lucky mama!