Well, it's officially upon us. I am so thrilled that this day has arrived. Not only because I am so tired of all of the million ads on TV (I think there are even more here since Colorado is a swing state), but because I know that I, like the rest of the country, is ready for some serious CHANGE! For me, this day is 8 years in the making.
This is my third presidential election in which I have been eligible to vote. My first was in 2000 when I was 20 years old and a junior in college. Remember that election? When Florida screwed everything up? When Bush didn't win the popular vote but still managed to eek out a win? Yeah, that one. I have to say that I never had a good feeling about that guy. I just didn't see any sign of competence anywhere, and I still don't. I was so disappointed that he "won" and even MORE disappointed four years later when he actually did legitimately won. I mean, seriously, how could he be re-elected?? That really made me lose faith in our nation. I remember Eric and I talking about leaving the country because we felt so strongly against another four years under his leadership. Turns out we were right to be nervous!
But now, Bush's legacy is about to all be behind us! I am a Democrat through and through, although I will say that doesn't necessarily mean I vote straight across the party line no matter what. If I loved a Republican, I would vote for him or her. But, this just hasn't happened yet. I am a definite Barack Obama supporter. However, what is different for me in this election is that I won't die if John McCain is elected. I am not a fan of his, but I at least feel that he has some brains and experience, so I won't want to become a Canadian if he wins. However, I would be really, really elated if Obama were to win!
This is definitely the most exciting election in our recent history, and I feel so privileged to be part of it. Don't forget to vote!
This is my third presidential election in which I have been eligible to vote. My first was in 2000 when I was 20 years old and a junior in college. Remember that election? When Florida screwed everything up? When Bush didn't win the popular vote but still managed to eek out a win? Yeah, that one. I have to say that I never had a good feeling about that guy. I just didn't see any sign of competence anywhere, and I still don't. I was so disappointed that he "won" and even MORE disappointed four years later when he actually did legitimately won. I mean, seriously, how could he be re-elected?? That really made me lose faith in our nation. I remember Eric and I talking about leaving the country because we felt so strongly against another four years under his leadership. Turns out we were right to be nervous!
But now, Bush's legacy is about to all be behind us! I am a Democrat through and through, although I will say that doesn't necessarily mean I vote straight across the party line no matter what. If I loved a Republican, I would vote for him or her. But, this just hasn't happened yet. I am a definite Barack Obama supporter. However, what is different for me in this election is that I won't die if John McCain is elected. I am not a fan of his, but I at least feel that he has some brains and experience, so I won't want to become a Canadian if he wins. However, I would be really, really elated if Obama were to win!
This is definitely the most exciting election in our recent history, and I feel so privileged to be part of it. Don't forget to vote!
No comments:
Post a Comment