Friday, November 19, 2010

The First Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is NEXT week! I just can't believe that. This year, there are a lot of firsts going on. We will be hosting the big gathering at our house for the first time ever (about 18 adults total), and with that, I'll be cooking a turkey for the first time EVER. Crazy I know! Yes, at 30 years old, I am finally going to cook a Thanksgiving turkey. We just have always had it at my parents' house, and then our neighbor had us over last year when we couldn't make it back, but now it's our turn! And why? Because of another first - living in the same city as my family as an adult. Before moving here, the last time we lived in the same city was when I was in high school. The rest of my time in Arizona I was two hours away in Tucson, and I always drove up to spend the holidays with them.

And I think I am even going to attempt to bake an apple pie...yes, another first. Fortunately, I am sharing the cooking of the side dishes with my mom and sister-in-law (phew!), so that helps a LOT. But still, this feels pretty big since I have never hosted an official holiday meal before...let alone for such a big crew!

And our friend and former Colorado neighbor (the same one that hosted us last year), Paula, and her daughter are coming to visit us for the first time since we moved here, and they will be sharing the holiday with us as well!

Plus, it is Ava's first Thanksgiving!

So, I am excited. A little nervous that it's on my shoulders for the first time. But so excited because I absolutely love Thanksgiving and the delicious food (I sure hope that my part is actually delicious!) and spending time with the family.

Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

You're going to do great!! How wonderful that everyone will get to be together! If you need a grrrreat pie crust recipe lemme know. :)

Jen said...

Good luck, how exciting!!!! I can't wait to hear (or read?) all about it! Take a picture of your first bird for memory's sake!

alison said...

I am hosting too, for the first time as an adult! I'm not resposible for the turkey though - my Mom still doesn't trust me with that! :)