Sunday, March 21, 2010

Life with Ava

Things around here are going pretty well. For one thing, Eric was fortunate enough to be able to take two weeks off, and I am so glad he has another week to hang out with us. Another week where I don't have to be in charge of two kids all by myself just yet . He is really enjoying this time to be with all of us (and to watch March Madness), and Asher is loving having daddy home all the time. I think the transition when Eric goes back to work will be a little rough on him. But we'll manage and get back into the flow of things.

Ava is doing really great. The first few nights were really challenging because it was like she never actually fell into a deep sleep and was partially awake the whole night. Coming off of two nights of zero sleep in the hospital, I really felt like I was just going to pass out from exhaustion. Thank goodness for naps! But, things did settle down, and now she at least will fall asleep after eating, even if it is only for 1-2 hours. Some nights she will even sleep for longer stretches. I didn't have high expectations for the newborn period anyway, so I'll take what I can get!

During the day, she still sleeps a lot. I often have to do my best to try and wake her up throughout the day by changing her. Her brother is more than willing to jump in and kiss her a thousand times to try and rouse her. She is staying awake for longer periods, and I love just staring into those blue eyes. She doesn't cry a whole lot - mainly when she's being changed or if she doesn't get her milk fast enough. But for the most part, she's pretty content to just chill and sleep....oh and poop. This girl poops like nobody's business. Go bowels!Overall, I'd say things are going pretty darn well. It's hard to believe she's only been here a week and a day! We all just adore this little girl.

4 comments:

Meg said...

yay! sounds like you're settling into a good pattern already, even if it does revolve around sleep deprivation. *wink* She's so beautiful... and I love all the Asher kissing pictures, that boy is a Casanova, watch out! :)

Alison said...

I sure see a resemblance between her and her big brother already. So cute!

Jennifer said...

Ditto what Meg said. :) It's nice to at least have a routine started so each day isn't such a guessing game...well you know what I mean. At least you don't expect to get a full night's sleep yet. That first week will be a little tough after Eric goes back to work BUT you can do it and you're going to be an awesome mommy of 2!!!

The Crazy One said...

I can't believe you have the energy to blog! You're doing great, keep up the good work! :-)