Sunday, March 7, 2010

Close But No Cigar (or Baby!)

So, Eric is on call this weekend. I was nervous about him being on call so close to my due date, but he does have a colleague on backup just in case. I did mentally go into "lockdown" on my cervix for the weekend just to try and keep things simple (I like to pretend I have control over these things).

On Friday night, Eric was extremely busy, and neither of us got much sleep thanks to his pager going off repeatedly. And then I woke up on Saturday morning to contractions and cramping. Eric was already off and running and getting slammed, and I was so exhausted from the night before. This combination made me almost want to cry. I did not want to have this baby today! They seemed like they were Braxton-Hicks ones and were not regular, although very consistent in their presence. I got up, got Asher fed and dressed, and then took a hot shower. I was not feeling so hot, but I was still very aware that these were not a sign of any real labor just yet.

We went grocery shopping, which was not the most pleasant thing considering how crampy I was! But darn it, we needed food, and I was determined to just keep on trucking. Later, I laid down for a bit and tried to time the contractions while Asher watched some Elmo. They were erratic but still constant.

Later, when Eric came home, I told him what was going on. He wondered if we should go to the hospital, but I assured him that they were not gaining in intensity and were still irregular. This went on into the evening. After dealing with these contractions for 12 hours, I was feeling a little worn down and wondering what was going to happen, if anything, with all of these. While they were not painful necessarily, some of them were definitely uncomfortable, and the cramping wasn't a whole ton of fun either. But all of it was still manageable.

So I went to bed. A couple hours later, I noticed that the contractions were starting to get stronger, and it felt like there was some regularity to them. I got up and timed them for a while, and they were between 2-3 minutes apart! I was feeling excited that maybe something was starting to happen! Eric was also up and excited as well. I eventually went back to bed in an attempt to get any kind of sleep before they started getting more intense. I started to notice the contractions were suddenly not as strong or regular....

By morning, it was clear that there was no progress. I told Eric that he could go on into work after all (he was a little disappointed by that). And as the morning went on, things only cooled off more. The contractions started falling off and were further and further apart, or else they would make an appearance for just a short time. We had mentally prepared ourselves that we were going to have this baby soon, so for it all to stop was a bit of a letdown!

So, while a couple of days ago I was fully prepared to be pregnant for several more days or even another week, now that I experienced 24 hours of contractions, I am more anxious than ever! Patience, patience....

4 comments:

The Stiners said...

Nothin' like getting your hopes up huh?! It's so much easier to say this but get all the rest you can yada yada yada. :) Come on out little girl!

Alison said...

I'm sorry you got excited and it didn't happen. Hopefully the real thing will all happen much more quickly??? It's baby week - I know it!

Jen said...

Oh that is just torture for her to get your hopes up like that! She is already getting into trouble! :)

Chamin said...

That's basically the same thing that happened with Jameson, although only for 8 hours straight. Turns out, once we got to the end of the real thing, he was transverse and they had to turn him by hand before I pushed him out. Guess I should have trusted that he needed a little longer in the oven and I shouldn't have stripped the membranes after all. All those contractions are probably her trying to get into the proper position to be born and she's still working on it. It will be really soon though! Good luck!