Saturday, July 11, 2009

Honest Scrap: 10 Honest Things

The Honest Scrap award is given by other bloggers who consider a blog’s content or design to be brilliant. The awardee must then post ten honest things about themselves and pass the award on to other bloggers who fit the bill – in other words, whose blog is brilliant.

I was tagged by Alison, and even though I'm pretty sure I was tagged more out of friendship than for brilliance (because seriously now - I'm not kidding myself here!), I'll humor her and all of you just the same.

1. I usually like to start my day with a little bit of the Today Show. After changing Asher's diaper and getting him breakfast, I really need just a brief fix of knowing what is going on in the world. It's usually only for 20 minutes or so, but if I can squeeze it in, I'm a happy camper.

2. I really love Starbucks. If I could, I would have a white mocha several days a week, but I limit myself to maybe once or twice a week. I am so sensitive to caffeine after drinking very little of it for so long that I still get decaf!

3. I have always wanted naturally wavy/curly hair. The main reason is so that I could have the option of a "wash and go," something I can never, ever do! My hair is bone straight, and without blow drying, it lays flat and limp against my head and looks really awful. Even though it's somewhat thin, it's still really time-consuming to blow dry. When I first had Asher, and it was longer, there were lots of ponytail days for sure!

4. We occasionally talk about (and I have mentioned several times on here) possibly moving back to Arizona at some point. I would love for us to be closer to our families for sure. Of course, there are many factors to consider (first and foremost - the right job for Eric). But after living in Colorado for two years, can I really handle that heat again? Um, I'm not so sure!

5. I am seriously dying to go see a movie in a theater and have a date night with Eric. We have borrowed our friend's babysitter once, but her schedule has gotten pretty hectic, so we haven't had a chance to take advantage of that again. I really need to advertise and find someone that we can use occasionally, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. It sounds like so much work to place an ad and then interview and then check references and then take the leap of leaving Asher with a stranger. Maybe I just need to pick a date far enough in advance that I know the other babysitter will be free! (Hmm...trade Az heat for 6 babysitters? So tempting!)

6. I would really love to have a little redheaded girl at some point. I like to think I was fairly cute as a kid, and my hair was never that super bright red/orange. I would just love to have my own mini me with the same hair color who looks like me. Alas, it's a recessive gene, and Eric has no redheads in his family, so I don't think this dream will happen. But a girl with any hair color will suffice, thank you very much.

7. I don't really love cooking, and I wish I did. I love watching cooking shows, and they always inspire me to want to do it as well as they do and broaden my horizons. And I do cook a lot, but it's more out of necessity. Yes, it is satisfying to prepare a delicious and healthy meal for my family, but if a professional chef offered to cook for me all the time? I'd so say, "HECK YEAH!" without any sort of hesitation.

8. We are on our way to being Debt Free! I never used to have credit card debt...until I met Eric! He racked up quite a bit during med school, and we accumulated a little bit over a few years...but then we moved, bought a house and furnished it, installed landscaping, and had a baby, and yeah....we had way more than we should have. But over the past couple years, we have worked really hard to pay it all off (we used Dave Ramsey's Debt Snowball plan). And we have! We have NO credit card debt and NO car payments. We only have our mortgage and Eric's student loans. Unfortunately, those equal a huge amount of money, but at least we're on our way! I would love to sell the house and rent for a while to get his student loans on their way to being paid off, but we're stuck here for a while (come on, market!). We have definitely learned major lessons these past two years, and we will never forget them! I will need a bigger car soon, and I'm hoping to finance as little as possible, because the thought of taking on any more debt makes my stomach hurt!

9. I love order and cleanliness. Already, our house is a constant disaster with Asher, and I worry how it will look when we have another little one running around! My mom tells me that you lower your standards, which doesn't hearten me. I know that being a good parent is more important than having a clean house, but isn't that a good thing, too? Especially when it prevents me from losing my mind? Ah, but this is life with kids I suppose! I wouldn't trade it for anything.

10. I still love watching Friends TV show reruns. Sure, it went off the air forever ago, but I still love watching episodes I've seen a hundred times. We watch it almost daily in the evening, and I still look forward to it!

I'll tag Brenda and Jen S.

5 comments:

Alison said...

Thanks for playing. I struggle with the cleanliness and kidness of it all too. I find that if I at least put it all away after bed time, I can face another day!

The Maples said...

A couple comments: Just remember, you don't have to shovel heat! Ha ha! And there's an awful lot of talk about other children... is this something on the horizon??? =) I will do mine soon. Thanks for asking me to play! =)

The Maples said...

Oh yeah. One more thing. On the babysitting thing, I suggest you contact the high school pastor at a local church and ask who s/he recommends out of the students s/he ministers. We have a couple really good girls from our church that do a great job and they usually come pretty cheap!

Jen said...

Fun! I know, Brenda, I was thinking the same thing about the baby talk--wondering if there's something you're keeping to yourself???? hmm.... I am totally in agreement with you on #1, 2 & 3!

Lea said...

You guys are so funny. It's definitely something on my mind, so we'll see what happens! :)