So far, Asher is not a big fan of organized activity of any kind. When we were taking a class at My Gym this past winter/spring, he hated circle time with a passion. That was the time where we all sat in a circle, sang songs, and "warmed up" the kids' arms and legs. Anytime I tried to move his hands or get him to stretch out, he would yank himself away from me with a screech and run around the room. He totally enjoyed the free playtime aspect of it, but try to tell this boy what to do? Forget about it.
But when I decided to sign him up for swim lessons this summer, I thought it would be a surefire hit. He loves baths, pools, and the beach. Our first trip to the pool this summer just to play was not great and began and ended in tears. But subsequent visits were a rip-roaring success, and I had to drag him out of there, so I felt really confident about swim lessons.
His first lesson was this past Monday, and Asher screamed for 10 minutes. He refused to have anything to do with the process. Fortunately, each successive day, he would give in just a little bit more. By the third lesson, he was willing to sometimes kick his legs and put his face in the water to blow bubbles. We have one more lesson to go, and I think we will survive just fine. But I am glad to be done. It wasn't quite the thrill I hoped for, and I think we'll stick with "free swim" for the rest of the summer.
Asher trying to recover from the trauma of his first lesson.
Asher checking himself out perhaps?
Enjoying a fountain.
Some water in the face (hopefully not the ear - no more ear infections please!)
All done and time to go home!
2 comments:
I'm sorry to hear he didn't take to it like a fish to water (haha!) Lily always loved swimming lessons but maybe that's because it was her special thing with Daddy!?
Well, better luck next summer huh? There's not much learning in those lessons when they are this little anyway so I don't think he's missing too much. :) Hey if he'll at least enjoy being in the pool then I'd count that as a success!
Post a Comment