Thursday, July 9, 2009

Fran the Man

This past weekend, my youngest brother (I have 3 total), Francisco, came up to visit by himself. He is 15 years old and just finished up his freshman year of high school. You might wonder a) how I have a brother so young and b) why we look nothing like each other (as in I am white and he is hispanic - just a tad bit of difference there!). Well, way back when, my parents were foster parents and took in various children who came into the system when their own parents could not care for them. We had an opening, and there was a little 2 1/2 year old boy who needed a home. His name was Francisco. And he was a pistol, let me tell you. His saving grace? He sure was a cutie!

Despite all of Fran's issues, we loved him. When he came up for adoption, my parents knew in their hearts that, no matter what lay ahead, it was the right decision to adopt him and give him the love and permanency that he so deserved. He just belonged with us. They went to the ends of the earth and beyond for him. Therapies, treatments, camps, school after school, and endless, endless patience.

And Fran and I? I wasn't around all that much after I graduated high school and was living in a different city. But from the beginning, we clashed a lot. He knew how to push my buttons, and I had little patience with him. But, something has changed in the past couple of years, especially this past year. He has worked really hard, and he really is a changed person. He is kind and considerate and truly enjoyable to be around.

A year or two ago, if my mom had suggested that Francisco visit for 4 nights, I would have taken a deep breath and said, "Ummm....let me think about that." This time - no hesitation. I knew it would be fine. And it totally was, plus it was a lot of fun.

He was such a big help! I decided to spread new mulch on the front and back yards myself to save mucho dinero, and he really helped me out, as this was a much bigger project than I anticipated! Here he is showing off his strength by carrying 4 bags of mulch:
Fran also helped to entertain Asher. It was so cute how Asher completely looked up to him and would copy what Fran was going. Fran layed on the floor to push cars with Asher, and Asher jumped in right next to him and did exactly what he was doing. You can see how much Asher totally enjoyed this! And here is Asher modeling Fran's baseball hat.

Our time together was special for me because we had a chance to really talk and bond in a way we don't have an opportunity to do very often. Plus, he has a girlfriend (his first) and wanted all sorts of love advice, so it was nice to be able to give that as well. I am so proud to see what a great young man he has grown into!

2 comments:

Alison said...

I too have had a lot of time to bond with my brother lately and it's been nice!

Glad you had an enjoyable visit!

The Stiners said...

I'm sure it was a great bonding experience for him too - that's fantastic you guys were able to have that time! And I know Asher just loved having his own personal Uncle around to play with. :)

Hey and not bad that he helped you out with the mulching!!!!