Last night was a tad bit scary. I was using a sharp knife to cut Asher's hot dog (organic and nitrate-free of course), and Asher was nearby (dumb, dumb, dumb, STUPID me!), and he grabbed the knife. And it cut through his finger. The blood started immediately, and my heart stopped beating. I immediately began applying strong pressure with a paper towel and did my best to hold his hand above his head, and he was sobbing and doing his best to try and yank his hand away (which certainly did not help the situation).
Eric wanted to go to the ER right away, but I had visions of needles and stitches and pure trauma for Asher, and I felt that if all that could safely be avoided, I was going to do my best to prevent it. I held that finger tightly for about 30 minutes, and every time I pulled the towel away, it immediately oozed more. It was not looking good. We eventually put on two tight bandaids and watched it closely. The bleeding finally stopped. And then I was so very glad that he is still nursing because it was the ultimate and only comfort I could provide, and it worked. He pulled at the bandaid for quite a while (and even pulled it off, so now he's sporting some tape around it as well), but now he's totally used to it.

And within a couple of hours, he had recovered enough to resume his ongoing cellphone conversation.
And then, after Asher had gone peacefully to bed, I read this story about this poor little 4-month-old with major heart trouble who is in the hospital and being poked and prodded and pumped full of drugs, and his future is unknown, and I just can't imagine what his parents are going through. And I was so grateful that Asher's small injury was just that - minor and temporary. Reading sad stories like this really puts everything into perspective, and I thank my lucky stars that my little guy is healthy and just fine.
Eric wanted to go to the ER right away, but I had visions of needles and stitches and pure trauma for Asher, and I felt that if all that could safely be avoided, I was going to do my best to prevent it. I held that finger tightly for about 30 minutes, and every time I pulled the towel away, it immediately oozed more. It was not looking good. We eventually put on two tight bandaids and watched it closely. The bleeding finally stopped. And then I was so very glad that he is still nursing because it was the ultimate and only comfort I could provide, and it worked. He pulled at the bandaid for quite a while (and even pulled it off, so now he's sporting some tape around it as well), but now he's totally used to it.

And within a couple of hours, he had recovered enough to resume his ongoing cellphone conversation.And then, after Asher had gone peacefully to bed, I read this story about this poor little 4-month-old with major heart trouble who is in the hospital and being poked and prodded and pumped full of drugs, and his future is unknown, and I just can't imagine what his parents are going through. And I was so grateful that Asher's small injury was just that - minor and temporary. Reading sad stories like this really puts everything into perspective, and I thank my lucky stars that my little guy is healthy and just fine.
2 comments:
Scary! I admit I'm guilty of cutting food on Lily's tray within her reach. In fact at lunch today I was cutting her food with a pizza cutter (which I love by the way, so easy!) but I was just thinking how it was a stupid move. I will be more cautious now.
On another note, I've never met a family who goes to, or almost goes to the Emergency Room so much (must be the doctor in the family!)
Oh my goodness!!! That is waaaaaay scary!!! I can just imagine how fast your heart was beating! I'm glad it wasn't worse but don't beat yourself up though you're a fabulous mommy and we've all done something where we weren't using our brains to their full capacity. :)
Post a Comment