
This past weekend, Asher and I journeyed to Phoenix for a quick trip. The benefit of being there so recently after Christmas was that he seemed to remember everyone and went to them readily, including all three of my brothers, which has never before happened! And his willingness to hang with anyone really allowed me to enjoy myself by relaxing, watching a movie, and even cooking dinner for everyone one night.




But Asher's favorite person continues to be Grandpa, hands down. Not only does my dad just have a knack with kids, but he really puts in the time doing what Asher loves most - playing. My dad finds all sorts of creative ways to entertain him and will literally spend hours doing just that. Plus, they were having some extremely gorgeous, non-winter weather (70s anyone?), and so the two of them spent endless time outside exploring my parents' one acre, including a tour of the local animals (chickens, ducks, and dogs). Of course, Asher's favorite part was all the rocks!
Another bonus was that it happened to be the weekend that both of my parents and my younger brother, Aaron, were completing a half marathon. My dad has done it 6 years in a row, my mom 3, and this was Aaron's first. Sadly, even when I lived in Tucson, I never made it up there to support them (shame shame!), but this year, I was so excited to be part of it. I wanted to be at the start and finish line with them. However, the reality was that there were 20,000 people racing (and another 15,000 doing the full marathon), and thousands of spectators, so it was CROWDED. Pushing a stroller through the throngs of people was challenging enough, but then getting a toddler to sit still and not walk around is next to impossible. So, we waited with them until they were close to starting, and then it was clear that Asher was done with this nonsense. We didn't make it to the finish line (Asher wanted to take a nap instead), which I was very disappointed about, but at least we got to cheer them on once they returned home.
I must say that I am thoroughly impressed by the fact that my parents are in waaay better shape than I'm in (and a little bit embarassed??). Apparently I got shorted in the running gene department!
Although the trip was brief, we had a great time, and it was hard to leave. However, coming home is always nice, especially when you have a daddy who missed his boy like crazy!
Although the trip was brief, we had a great time, and it was hard to leave. However, coming home is always nice, especially when you have a daddy who missed his boy like crazy!
1 comment:
Your parents dog in the first picture looks like a mountain lion from behind. Anyways, I'm glad you had a great trip but I'm glad you're back too! And thanks for bringing back the beautiful weather!! Grandpa's rock don't they? There's something about their patience and creativity that make them totally enthralling. Corben just can't get enough of his "Pa-Pa" either!
Post a Comment