One of my favorite parts of having a third baby is getting to use all the baby stuff we already had for one more rodeo without additional cost. Of course, when it hurts when I've had to replace something that broke when I know it will only be used for a short time but seems so important, but that's been rare, fortunately.
I decided to take pictures of all my favorite baby gear that was worth the money, and others that haven't done much for us. A baby gear review, if you will.
First, there's the activity mat. See that smile on his face? Yes, he
loves it. When babies are too young to play with toys, they still love to
watch the toys hang above their heads. And once they are a little older, they start to grab them. Hunter loves to yank and pull on them,
and he can stay pretty happy for a while on this. It's also a great
place for tummy time since it gives him something interesting to look
at. Of course, my favorite part is that it's been used by Asher, Ava, my
niece, and now Hunter!
Next up, the baby swing. This thing is a large monstrosity guaranteed to eat up some major floor space. It was a gift back when I was pregnant with Asher, and it's definitely come in handy. However, it seems to only be liked for a short time. Hunter loved it when he was a newborn, but he has grown tired of it, and only spends short moments in here now, and only if he's up for it. When he was in the height of loving to be in it, a leg actually came loose, and it was rendered useless. I was distraught, because there was no way I was going to buy a new one for a short time, but it was crucial! My dad came to the rescue and fixed it for us, which made me a happy mama for sure.
Third is the bouncy chair. This is actually a 2nd generation one as the one I had for Asher broke Ava was a baby, but I loved this one so much I had to buy it again. Our neighbor, Paula, had bought this for Asher, and at the time, I didn't even know they existed or that I should have one (remember how overwhelmed you are the first time around by all the STUFF and you have no idea what to buy?). It instantly became my absolute favorite baby gear item since it was a handy place to lay your baby down anywhere for naps, while you shower, or while cooking or cleaning. It vibrates, which the babies love, and there's also toys and music. And did I mention that all my babies loved it? My only complaint about this specific one is that it is way more upright than our previous one, so I couldn't really use it when Hunter was first born because his head would constantly roll to the side. But now that he's older, it's a lot more comfortable for him, and he enjoys hanging out in there. It's especially handy during dinnertime, although I usually end up with Hunter on my lap, grabbing my plate.
This is my Beco baby carrier.
I bought this, once again, when I was pregnant with Asher. Between Asher and Ava, it was used maybe a handful of times, if that. I just didn't love the feel of it, and neither of them ever seemed happy for very long. Sometime during my pregnancy with Hunter, I decided to sell it on Craigslist and get an Ergo instead. Both are comfortable on your back, but the Ergo doesn't come up as high, and I thought maybe I (and the baby) would prefer that instead.
This is the Ergo, which I bought off of Craigslist. Another main difference is that you can use the Beco with an infant but not with the Ergo (you need an infant insert). So, I had listed the Beco, and I had numerous people who wanted to buy it. But....I just couldn't do it! Something told me not to, so I held onto it. And you know what? Best decision ever. Hands down. I used it right away with Hunter, and the instant I put him in it, it felt significantly more comfortable than I remembered, and he loved it, too. With him, it just fit like it hadn't before, and it has been indispensable. Maybe it just needed to be broken in over the course of 5 years? Ha. I use it everywhere - grocery shopping, Target, etc. I thank my lucky stars I didn't sell it. Now that Hunter has more head control, I've whipped out the Ergo, too, but the Beco is now my favorite. Isn't it ironic...
Here is the Bumbo. It recently made its re-debut since Hunter has gotten a little older. This had been given to me by my friend, Megan, when her kids were done with it, and I have most appreciatively used it for all three children. The Bumbo is a great thing. Babies love being able to sit up and watch everything going on around them. You do have to be careful to not put them on high surfaces that they can fall off of, of course, and Ava actually managed to flip herself out of it and onto the floor one time (I had only placed it on the floor, thank goodness), which was a little scary, but she was okay. I've noticed that when Hunter is upset and stretches himself out, I could see him flipping out of it, too, so I have to keep a careful eye on him. But it's a great thing to have around nonetheless.
Here is Hunter on the boppy doing some tummy time and playing with a toy. The boppy is so versatile, from nursing support, to baby playtime.
There are a few more things I could include (such as an exersaucer), but this is the majority of it. I'm so glad we've had these all around to pull out for Hunter and keep him entertained when he's ready for them. Even if he only hangs out in each for a few minutes at a time, that's a few minutes that enables me to get something quickly done, or a few minutes to give him something new to look at and enjoy.
Although I'm glad to have these around, I am excited to clear them out once Hunter is all done with them. Last baby and more space for the win! Until then, we'll get all the use out of them we can!
2 comments:
This review can be a big help to new moms. It was a good idea to do it. I'll send it to my daughter-in-law.
Excellent article.
Post a Comment