Friday, December 3, 2010

Trade-offs

I have to say that I am so thankful to be enjoying an Arizona winter! This is the reward after the loooong, brutal, endless summer (of which I only experience for a relatively brief time, and even that was too much!). It seems you have to pick and choose - have a very cold, snowy winter and beautiful summer or a HOT summer and beautiful winter. For now, this works great for me (ask me again in July!).

As great as it is to be living back here, work for Eric has been really stressful. Much more so than he was expecting. He is doing the work of 2-3 people, and until they can get someone else hired to help him out (soonest would be a couple months and longest is undetermined), he is carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders. If he had known things would have unfolded this way, the odds are pretty good that he would not have accepted the job.

But I am so proud of him, because he is plodding along, doing the best he can, and trying to not get too upset when he is called away during dinner, bedtime, or late at night. Fortunately, that doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen. I know that once this has passed (and it will pass!) and things have improved, he will be able to handle "normal" stress like a pro. Once he has more than 4 days/nights off per month, he will breathe easy again and life will be really great.

For now, during his two weekends off a month, you can physically see the transition manifest itself. He is so happy and excited about life. He arranged to have his parents babysit so we could go out to dinner tonight. We make plans that we know he can follow through with. We crack open a bottle of wine and just enjoy being.

I am so glad that we live near our families, not only so we can see them all the time, but so that can take advantage of Eric's downtime and have babysitters!

Hopefully sooner than later there won't be too many trade-offs for us....it will all just be a win-win!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I am so glad you guys were able to just "be" last night and enjoy each others undivided attention. I hope those other candidates pan out because I know this is wearing on both you and Eric. I know your whole family is loving having your sweet family together.

I loved getting to spend few hours with you earlier this week!!!!!

alison said...

Jen was just telling me about this. Ugh! I'm so sorry to hear it's not starting off on the right foot! I hope they hire someone ASAP!

Jen said...

I am sorry to hear that it has been a tough start in AZ! I can very much relate to the strain of an over-worked husband too. Rich's permanent schedule (ever since I have known him) is only 4 days off per month, and he works about 70 or more hours every week. But I guess we are lucky that he doesn't have to be on call when he is home!

Hope it gets better soon!!