Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Wall

There's something that happens around here practically every day. It starts in the late afternoon and sometimes proceeds all the way through bedtime. I'm not quite sure what to call it besides The Horrible. It lurks inside the body of my precious boy, who can flip in a heartbeat from pure joy and happiness to this:
And suddenly, everything is awful and wretched, and he becomes an inconsolable mess. There might be some throwing, hitting, and biting. There will definitely be lots of tears, screaming, and whining. This fiasco definitely impedes my attempts to make dinner and makes me want to just go grab a bucket of dirt and eat that instead. Surely, that would be more pleasant.And when you have two parents who are both tired by the time evening hits (if not sooner), it leads to two people who want to literally to scream or cry themselves. At the end of the day, we just want to relax and spend some quality time with Asher.

Today, what set Asher off was discovering an old cell phone that didn't work. The battery was missing, so there was definitely nothing I could do to fix it. I tried to explain it to him, and I tried to have him throw it away himself since it was broken. But alas, he was still very upset.

So I finally gave him some chips and salsa. And suddenly, he was all smiles. He is so my boy.

3 comments:

Alison said...

I know he's not a big napper but maybe he needs to go to bed earlier. Early bedtime is my solution for everything! (Including my sanity!)

The Maples said...

The glimpse of the terrible twos! =) Everything is the end of the world. Fun, isn't it? In our house it's the indecisiveness. "Ben, do you want milk?" "yeah" "here you go" "NO!" over and over and over again. Times like this are tough, and I always want to kick anyone who tells me to "enjoy these times because they grow up so fast." Ugh! These kinds of times can pass as fast as possible, and I won't lose a bit of sleep over it! =) Just know you're not alone and that it really does get better!!!

The Crazy One said...

Like clockwork, Scott used to wail for at least an hour starting at 6:00. We called it, "The Witching Hour". It finally went away after the magic 3 month mark.