Sleep. It's a hot topic in parenthood for sure. As soon as your baby is born, you're asked, "Is he sleeping?" and "Does he sleep through the night yet?" It used to drive me bonkers! Especially because the answer was always a resounding, "No!" We've definitely gone the gentle route with Asher in terms of his sleep. A big part of that was because he suffered so much from his eczema and allergies as a baby, so the last thing I wanted to do was to inflict any more misery on him by making him cry it out (CIO), and I just hate letting him cry by himself anyway. He gets so worked up and screams and becomes hysterical. So, I nursed him to sleep, and then I laid down with him and rocked him. And I nursed him at night as much as he wanted.
This past December, I was done with nursing at night. Most of the time it wouldn't bother me, but I really did grow tired of him waking up multiple times a night, especially in the early morning. It was easy because he sleeps in our bed most of the night, but it was still wearing on me. And he was 15 months old, so I knew it was just a comfort issue. So, we did the night weaning (with some great advice from Dr. Ferber's book). It was very hard. But SO worth it. And you know the best part? Once he got really used to it (took about a month or so), he started sleeping through the night! I honestly thought that would never happen.
Now that we've moved beyond that, I feel like it's time to make a change at bedtime. He no longer nurses to sleep, and he has a firm routine and 8pm bedtime. However, it still requires me laying down with him and cuddling with him for 30-60+ minutes. By that time, I'm usually so tired myself that I end up just going to bed. I don't mind when getting him to sleep is brief, and I even enjoy the snuggling, but it's gotten to the point where I feel like I am a prisoner trapped in the bedroom for such a long period and who has the same bedtime as my 18-month-old. It's just not working for me anymore. In fact, some nights I become so frustrated after trying to lay down in his crib 5 or 6 times until he stays asleep (after I've been laying down with him in the bed). I try so hard to be patient with him, but I just need some time to myself in the evenings. That's not too much to ask, is it? Plus, the way it is right now, I am the only one who can get him to sleep. He'll have nothing to do with anyone else.
I also saw an episode of Supernanny where the parents were laying down with the 5-year-old and 3-year-old, and I had this sudden, horrifying realization that this was bound to be us! Please no!
So, this leads me to think that we need to try something different. Something hard and very difficult. I just am not okay with leaving him in a dark room by himself to let him cry, so the method I think we'll use is being in the room with him while he's in the crib so that he is not alone, with my back turned to him. I am so not a fan of CIO whatsoever, but I think this is what will work. I'm hoping at least! He's still under the weather, so I am hoping to do it next week when he is healthy.
So, any tips or advice out there? Also for getting him down for naps while awake as well?
This past December, I was done with nursing at night. Most of the time it wouldn't bother me, but I really did grow tired of him waking up multiple times a night, especially in the early morning. It was easy because he sleeps in our bed most of the night, but it was still wearing on me. And he was 15 months old, so I knew it was just a comfort issue. So, we did the night weaning (with some great advice from Dr. Ferber's book). It was very hard. But SO worth it. And you know the best part? Once he got really used to it (took about a month or so), he started sleeping through the night! I honestly thought that would never happen.
Now that we've moved beyond that, I feel like it's time to make a change at bedtime. He no longer nurses to sleep, and he has a firm routine and 8pm bedtime. However, it still requires me laying down with him and cuddling with him for 30-60+ minutes. By that time, I'm usually so tired myself that I end up just going to bed. I don't mind when getting him to sleep is brief, and I even enjoy the snuggling, but it's gotten to the point where I feel like I am a prisoner trapped in the bedroom for such a long period and who has the same bedtime as my 18-month-old. It's just not working for me anymore. In fact, some nights I become so frustrated after trying to lay down in his crib 5 or 6 times until he stays asleep (after I've been laying down with him in the bed). I try so hard to be patient with him, but I just need some time to myself in the evenings. That's not too much to ask, is it? Plus, the way it is right now, I am the only one who can get him to sleep. He'll have nothing to do with anyone else.
I also saw an episode of Supernanny where the parents were laying down with the 5-year-old and 3-year-old, and I had this sudden, horrifying realization that this was bound to be us! Please no!
So, this leads me to think that we need to try something different. Something hard and very difficult. I just am not okay with leaving him in a dark room by himself to let him cry, so the method I think we'll use is being in the room with him while he's in the crib so that he is not alone, with my back turned to him. I am so not a fan of CIO whatsoever, but I think this is what will work. I'm hoping at least! He's still under the weather, so I am hoping to do it next week when he is healthy.
So, any tips or advice out there? Also for getting him down for naps while awake as well?
2 comments:
This is such a tough one, sorry! *hug* Anna was a dreadful sleeper forever, it was really rough. We worked with the No Cry Sleep Solution, and that certainly helped. She couldn't CIO, she'd just keep going, either until she passed out or made herself sick, then she'd start up again a bit later. I think the only real solution was sticking to our guns and... time. She outgrew it. Just decide on your course of action and DO NOT deviate. He'll pick up that you mean it eventually. But the training process is brutal, so more hugs to you, again!
Well Megan has said it all. Be strong Mama!
Post a Comment