Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Slip N Slide

The thing that scares me the most about snow is the ice on the roads. I remember last winter being absolutely terrified of driving in the snow with a newborn and worrying endlessly when Eric was on call and would have to make the long drive to the hospital in the middle of the night. After all, I am Arizona born and raised and had only seen snow once or twice in my life before moving here, so this was all brand-new to me. I lived in fear most of the winter and had a big sigh of relief at the end of March when I knew for sure that the worst was over and that we had survived! Of course, it still snows quite a bit in April, but it melts pretty quickly on the ground.

This winter, I am still freaked out, but the level has come down a little bit now that we have more experience in treacherous weather. I only had one scary incident last winter and that was when I was driving and turned into our neighborhood, and my car proceeded to quickly slide 180 degrees. Luckily, there was no one else on the road, so I sat there in silence for a second with my heart beating in my chest and thanking my lucky stars.

We got a lot of snow last night, and I ventured out for some errands this morning. The roads weren't too bad, but there was still a good amount of snow in places, though definitely doable. I was in the turn lane, slowing down to turn left, when my car started sliding toward oncoming traffic! I remembered to go off the brake and tried to steer accordingly. I went this way and that, and after a few feet, I was able to come to a stop while still being where I needed to be. Oh the panic! I felt SO extremely grateful and immediately starting thanking God for saving me and Asher. That could have been really awful.

So, if we ever leave Colorado, that is one thing I will definitely not miss. However, I must admit that I am proud of us for living in this climate, and I feel like it's a great experience (for the most part!). I think that going outside of your comfort zone can be a good thing and that it adds more notches on my belt. I'm no longer the wimpy Arizonan who's never experienced a REAL winter. Nope, I got me some street cred! (Although, did I just lose some by saying that??).

So, if I ever live in Arizona again, I can now successfully mock my friends and family who think that 50 degrees is COLD and who have never had to shovel snow off their driveways or who have never been able to build a snowman in their backyard. Of course, that's assuming I can live to tell about it.

Is winter over yet? Oh shoot, it's only December!

3 comments:

Alison said...

I've been slipping and sliding around quite a bit myself with these last two storms. Glad you stayed safe! Slow, slow and slow are the motto for driving in snow.

Jennifer said...

That is very scary! I'm glad you got through it! Yikes! I still slide around sometimes and I have an SUV, of course that's probably because I don't really know how to turn on my 4-wheel drive or is it automatic? Anyways, good thing you knew what to do and that you and Asher were ok!

Gina Mohr said...

Wow, scary. I have not had to take Desmond out in bad weather yet. When it snowed this week I was like, "well, no groceries today!"