At the beginning of January, I was feeling pretty good because we hadn't had any major sickness in our house all winter. This had definitely been a concern of mine with Asher being in Kindergarten and having an infant to worry about. Of course, because I even dared to feel even the slightest bit smug about this....BAM! It was all about to change.
A couple weeks ago, Asher came down with pink eye. Okay, that's a pain but really no biggie. We got him in for a last minute doctor's appointment (on a Friday afternoon no less - score!), and got the drops that night. By the next day, which happened to be Hunter's baptism, he was looking much better. None of the other kids got it either. Sigh of relief! But then the following week, he had a random fever at school one day that didn't seem to go anywhere, but two days later, he started coughing like crazy and stayed home Thursday and Friday from school. He was still bad over the weekend when I thought for sure he would be better. By Monday, he was the same, so I took him to the pediatrician (again), and it turned out he had a double ear infection. Poor guy, no wonder he'd been so miserable.
Amidst that, on Sunday, Eric woke up feeling sick and felt bad all day. By evening, he was shaking, feverish and feeling terrible and laid in bed for hours. It was pretty clear he had the dreaded flu. All I could think was oh boy, that is no good at all. On Monday, Ava woke up with a fever. Eric never misses work because it is pretty impossible for him to miss a day, but there was no way he could go in, so both Eric and Asher were home from work and school. And because I was taking Asher in to the doctor already, I had Ava checked out, and it turned out that she had the flu, too. Fantastic. Hold me!
As an aside, I had also started potty training Ava the Monday prior. After a week of barely leaving the house between potty training and Asher being sick, I was looking forward to maybe running an errand that wasn't to the pediatrician? Just kidding! I did take Asher to school on Tuesday and the rest of the week because he was doing much better on antibiotics, and I had to drag along poor Ava with me.
I have heard that the flu is awful, but I barely remembered what it was all about because I hadn't had it since I was a kid. Even then, I only remember really having 24-hour bugs for the most part. None of us have had the flu since Asher was born, and I've definitely been thankful for that...until now! The flu is serious business, and it just hangs on for so long. Poor Ava has been a ball of misery for a week now and counting. You can tell she feels awful, and she's feverish with a runny nose that won't stop, along with a cough. Only a couple days ago did her fever finally come down from 103.5, but she's still hovering around 100-101 for part of the day and night. She also wants to be held almost constantly, which makes it tricky when I also have a baby who needs me. Just not enough Mommy to go around!
The nights have been absolutely miserable, too. For the first 5 nights, Ava was awake for most the night crying. She couldn't get comfortable, and we'd move her from her to bed to ours to back again, or she'd be crying loudly in the hall when I had to feed Hunter because she wanted me to hold her instead of Eric, to buried in our arms (mine or Eric's, depending on her preference at the moment). I was so thankful that Hunter slept great all week and only woke up once or twice a night, even with all the racket. I really don't know how I would have managed if he'd been up constantly. When Ava finally slept for most of the night on Friday, it was pure relief that we could all get some rest.
The nights have been absolutely miserable, too. For the first 5 nights, Ava was awake for most the night crying. She couldn't get comfortable, and we'd move her from her to bed to ours to back again, or she'd be crying loudly in the hall when I had to feed Hunter because she wanted me to hold her instead of Eric, to buried in our arms (mine or Eric's, depending on her preference at the moment). I was so thankful that Hunter slept great all week and only woke up once or twice a night, even with all the racket. I really don't know how I would have managed if he'd been up constantly. When Ava finally slept for most of the night on Friday, it was pure relief that we could all get some rest.
I've been taking lots of vitamins to do what I can to keep me and Hunter healthy. I'm not ready to declare anything yet, but all I know is that if anyone else gets the flu, I will simply want to cry because I really, really don't want to go through this again! I can only imagine how hard this would be for a 5-month-old, so I've been knocking on wood, crossing my fingers, and praying for good health to come our way!
No comments:
Post a Comment