Monday, September 10, 2012

Two Weeks In

It already seems like Hunter has been part of our family for forever, so I can't believe it's only been two weeks. So much has happened these past two weeks. Last week, Eric went back to work. I felt gipped because since I had the baby on Monday and didn't get home from the hospital until Tuesday afternoon, it felt like the rest of the week went by so fast that we didn't have much down time as a family. But, actually, it felt good to get back into the routine, to be honest.

I was definitely having some panic attacks before last week (and honestly, for the past 9 months!) as I pictured trying to get everyone ready, including myself, in the morning and get out the door shortly after 8am to get Asher to school, and then to unload everyone to go inside and drop him off. Fortunately, things have gone pretty smoothly. So far, Hunter has been so good for me by sleeping for a while in the morning while we're (hope I'm not jinxing myself here!), so that has been a lifesaver. And once that stops, at least I'm getting my footing so I'll be able to work around it a little easier. I think just jumping in and getting into the flow helped me to feel more like myself, too. And as another mom at school commented when she saw me back at dropoff a week post-partum, "Moms just don't get to rest much, do they??"

My dad was also here every day last week for part of each day, so it was a good combo of me doing stuff on my own, which I needed (can you say control freak much?), and also getting some help here and there, which was a perfect transition into me being on my own all the time. Ava really enjoyed her extra Grandpa time, too! 

And as for Mr. Hunter himself, he's doing great. He's already weighing over 9 pounds, so a big boy for sure. He is overall pretty easygoing so far, but he every so often, he gets into these fussy periods where it seems impossible to calm him down, and it lasts for 1-2 hours. Hoping these pass sooner than later! His nights are a mix of decent (3-4 hours at a time) to totally exhausting (every 1-2 hours), but so far, I'm making it through and am still able to mostly function, so I'll take it!
Asher and Ava seem to be getting into the flow of things. That first week was definitely stressful and with lots of meltdowns. I was so proud of Asher, who didn't get to miss even a day of school since we didn't want to mess up his new routine if we could help it. Asher handled everything so well, even if he did have some tantrums, which is to be expected. They both absolutely love the baby, and we are constantly having to tell them to give him some space and please stop waking him up by smothering him with kisses! That's all good stuff, though.

The day after he was born, I decided to go off dairy as a preemptive strike. Unfortunately, the odds are in Hunter's favor for having food allergies, although I'm still hoping for a miracle! I hadn't planned on eliminating dairy, but it just felt like the right thing to do. Everyone, including his doctor, asked me what I was going to eliminate from my diet, like it was a foregone conclusion given our history. So, I do think it is a good thing. And hopefully giving up my nightly ice cream habit developed during pregnancy will make me skinny, yes?! It had better! Surprisingly, it hasn't been hard whatsoever yet. Maybe it's because eating in general feels like a luxury these days! Ava showed signs of allergies and eczema by 5 weeks old, and Asher was closer to two months, so I'll be crossing my fingers and watching closely as Hunter gets a little older.

Overall, the last two weeks have been really good and pretty smooth overall, so let's keep the momentum going! I'm loving every moment with my sweet little man!

1 comment:

Alison said...

I certainly remember how with kiddo #2 they just have to fit in to what is already going on with your life, and I guess with #3 it must be that way even more so. So glad it's been a relatively smooth ride so far!