Thursday, July 5, 2012

Making The Most Of It

We went to San Diego last week, which we decided to do sort of spur of the moment just a few weeks back. Ironically, I had planned to surprise Eric for his birthday by taking him to a local resort this same weekend for a little getaway, but I was willing to forgo my original plans in favor of a beach vacation in a much cooler climate...um, yes please! We decided to live it up as our last "hurrah" before baby boy makes his appearance, so we went all out and stayed at the Hotel Del Coronado on Coronado Island, a beautiful hotel that even has its own beach. The best part about that is that you can just take a short walk instead of driving and dealing with sand and major mess in the car! That's a big WIN in my book. And it also made it so easy to just pop back and forth from our hotel room, too. 

The day we left happened to be the very day that my sister-in-law was in labor and gave birth to my second niece, Pippa Rose. I was so sad to not be around for that! She was a month early (but fine and healthy thankfully), so her arrival was definitely a surprise for all. Since then, things have been a little rough for my brother and sister-in-law, and it's made me realize more than ever that even though I am uncomfortably pregnant, you never know how things are going to go once the baby arrives, so I'm so glad that we took the opportunity to go on vacation and have fun!

The most exciting part of the trip for me was knowing how much Asher and Ava were going to LOVE the beach. It has been two years since our last beach trip, when Ava was only 5 months old, and Asher had just turned three. I knew Ava would be at the perfect age to actually start enjoying it, and and there was no doubt Asher would have the best time. And this was most definitely the case! They didn't even mind that the water was sooooo cold, although we did! I would beg Ava to let me wrap a towel around her when she would be shivering, but she only wanted to go deeper into the water!

Here are some of the highlights of our trip:
The other great part about going to San Diego is visiting our friends! Our friends Jen, Brad, Nevie, and Corben live there, and we were lucky enough to see them a couple of times. I just love how Asher and Corben fall right into sync with each other even when it's been a long time. I hope we can keep their friendship going strong for many years to come.
 And seeing Jen is the same way for me. So fantastic to see this lady!
I miss my Jen!
I'm so glad we went, and we have lots of great memories to last us for a long time.

No comments: