Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Kindergarten Question

One of the biggest decisions I've struggled with for months (and more months) now is deciding on Asher's school future for next year. He will be 5 years old at the end of August, and the cutoff birthday for enrollment in Kindergarten is September 1st. A difference of one week. And sometimes boys need some extra time to mature and can benefit from an additional year of waiting to enter school. This is something I've been thinking about since he was a baby (it doesn't help that my mom has two boys with summer birthdays and went through this same exact thing and has mentioned it a thousand times), and I honestly have had no idea where we would end up.

Asher currently goes to a private preschool that also offers K-12. They also have a Kinderbridge program for those kids who are either past the cutoff day or would benefit from an additional year of preschool/kindergarten intro. The hours are the same, but it goes at a slower pace. When I first found out about this, my thought was that this was the perfect answer to our situation. Give Asher another year to mature, but he's still learning a lot at the same time.

However, Eric has a totally different opinion. His mantra has simply been, "Asher is ready for Kindergarten." One thing I admire (and am sometimes totally annoyed by) is how Eric can sometimes have these black and white opinions that he never wavers on. As for me, I analyze, analyze, analyze again, get the opinion of 10 people, make lists, agonize, lose sleep, look at it from every possible angle....and am still unsure. I definitely put a lot more of my emotions into my decision-making than Eric does.

I have presented various thoughts to Eric about concerns about if Asher is ready or not, but he brushes them aside and sticks with his original feeling. To have such conviction! I do envy that. But I am just not that way about most things. I have spoken with Asher's preschool teacher on a couple occasions, and she feels that Asher is absolutely ready for preschool. I do put a lot of weight on that since she sees him 3 mornings a week and knows his level of ability. She feels that socially, academically, and emotionally, he is ready. And of course, Eric has reminded me of her opinion during every discussion.

I do have to say that sometimes when Eric feels so strongly, he can sometimes.....be right. Like with preschool. I was totally ready to sign Asher up for 2 days a week, and Eric wanted 3 days a week. I completely disagreed but said we could talk to the people at the school about it and see what their perspective was. All the teachers said 3 days a week, hands down. So, we ended up doing 3, and guess what? I'm so glad we did, because that was the best decision.

In February, I heard from other parents that the Kindergarten fills up quickly and goes to a waiting list and to register earlier than later. So, at that point, we decided to go ahead and sign him up so at least we have a slot reserved, and we could always change our minds down the road. It was such a non-momentous occasion, though, because you simply do it online and re-enroll your child for the following year. No special trip to fill out paperwork or to document. Wham, bam, done, and suddenly he was signed up!

Since then, I have still vacillated at least a million more times on what the right decision is. But here, at the end of April, I think I finally feel peace that yes, he is ready. Yes, kindergarten is the right choice. After checking out the kinderbridge program, Eric and I were both concerned that maybe it wouldn't be quite challenging enough for Asher. This boy is really smart and loves to learn, and I think if he isn't being stimulated enough, it might work against him rather than for him. Obviously, you never know until you're in it what the right decision is, but I think this is it.

There will be a lot of changes in our lives come August. Full-time kindergarten for Asher AND a new baby to throw into the mix. I do feel really bad for Asher that both are happening at the same time because that's a lot to take in, but I remind myself that kids are resilient, and while Asher can be really sensitive to change, we know ahead of time that this can happen, so we'll be as prepared as possible and give him special time with us and lots of encouragement. And, even if things are rough, eventually they'll even out as he adjusts. I am really glad we are keeping him in the same school, though, and the kindergarten classrooms are literally right across the hall from where he is now. So at least there will be a lot of familiarity in that respect.

I can't believe all of this is happening in 4 months!

3 comments:

Alison said...

I agree this is such a hard decision. While I have never questioned putting Lily in kindergarten, like you, I'm still questioning whether it should be full or half day. I signed her up for full day but I'm still not sure!

Jen said...

Reading this makes me kind of happy that I still have a couple years before I think about these tough decisions! ha! (sorry, that's not very sympathetic, is it?!)

But I'm exactly like you, I over-analyze and stress about things so much!!! And when Rich is decisive about something, I over-analyze his too-quick decision-making and stress that he's not putting enough importance on things. ha! Our poor husbands, having to deal with us!

Sheila Siler said...

We had the same decision to make with our middle child when he was entering kindergarten. He is an August 16 birthday. The principal encouraged us to enroll him and gave us the advice that we could always have him repeat kindergarten if he wasn't mature enough (the concern was maturity not academic). It was the best thing we did. While he did take some time each year to "catch up", academically it was absolutely the right thing to do - and now he's finishing his sophomore year in high school. It can work!