Thursday, August 4, 2011

The (Im)patient Patient

Today, I gotta say, was not my finest hour. Asher had yet another follow-up doctor's appointment with the pediatrician, and I just wasn't in the mood. Just last week, I had to take Ava in for her follow-up, and afterward I had to make an appointment for her to have a speech evaluation done (still not enough words), as well as meeting with a dietitian (she had lost more weight). This was on the heels of just having been at the office two weeks prior for something else. Basically, my life lately is carting the kids around to various doctors' appointments. They hate it, and so do I.

So, this morning, I was already feeling annoyed as we were getting ready this morning. To add to my already frazzled state, Asher had locked both him and Ava in his room right as I was about to jump in the shower, and he was having trouble getting it unlocked because it was stuck. While I unsuccessfully tried to pop the lock with a screwdriver, I felt like my head was going to explode. Finally, Asher managed to get it unlocked, and thank goodness for that! I was so relieved and in a rush that I forgot to be mad.

But all my rushing and trying to get across town in time was for naught because when we arrived at the doctor, I found a jam-packed waiting room and a very long wait. Most times, I can be patient with this and paste on a smile, but today was not one of those days. I even kept bugging the front desk lady as everyone except us kept being called back, long after our scheduled appointment time. The kids were long done, and we all just wanted to go home.

We finally got back to a room, and the pediatrician came in shortly after. He is such a kind, polite man, but I was feeling so frustrated at that point that when he mentioned that Asher was Mr. Serious, I made a snide remark about him just being tired of waiting. I immediately regretted it, as the doctor very nicely said how sorry he was that he had some patients that morning with difficult issues going on. Really, this doctor, Dr. A, is honestly one of the most genuine, caring doctors I've ever met, and I know he usually runs late because he takes his time with everyone. Which is exactly what he did with us.

It was a good appointment, and I left feeling completely different than I had when I had come in. And also pretty embarrassed for getting bent out of shape.

As an aside (for the ladies only!), I did go home and discovered that a certain monthly friend (or should I say frenemy?) had arrived, and can I blame it on that? Honestly, I feel like my hormones during a certain time of month are waaay wackier than they were before I had Ava. Am I the only one?

Tomorrow is Ava's speech evaluation and another very long drive but hopefully not too long of a wait. Let's knock this one out of the park, girlfriend!

3 comments:

Meg said...

I think I have PTSD when it comes to doctor's so all experiences leave me pretty much cranky (to be polite...). And since I had the kids, my PMS and hormonal stuff has been WAY worse than before. Just usually that day before and of, but geesh. I'm always a little mortified once it's passed. You are not alone.

Jen said...

It is so frustrating to stress about getting somewhere on time, only to wait for what seems like forever! And having to entertain kids while you wait is even more frustrating!!!! I hope today's appointment went much better!

Bette said...

How did the speech assessment go? I'm curious because we haven't had very good luck with speech therapists with Gilli. I haven't been impressed with the two we've had.