Last week, you turned four years old (clearly, I am a bit behind). You've been waiting to turn 4 for months and months, and we were all so excited for you. It's amazing how much you've changed in a year. A year ago, I could still see bits of baby in you, but now I just see this big boy who goes to preschool now and is so grown-up.
There were times I honestly didn't know if I was going to survive age 3. I think you would agree that it's certainly had its tough moments. You found your voice and your will (which are both amazingly strong), and you learned how to assert yourself in a way that would put even 3-year-old Lea to shame (I was a little hellion, let me tell you). I always thought I would meet my match and get the payback my mom always promised (or cursed upon) me if I had a little girl, but I was wrong. It came in the form of my firstborn boy. Well played, son. Well played.
But for all the trying times, you have certainly become your own person. And I think that's really what this past year has been about. You've been soaking it all in and figuring out your place in the world and all the emotions that come with it.
You are so smart and you have a crazy good memory that I now realize you get from your dad. As with him, this can be a frustrating trait for me who wishes that certain things could be forgotten at times (i.e. that piece of paper you wanted me to save 6 months ago that you suddenly thought about and you must have right this instant!), but that memory will certainly serve you well in life. I love how you and I can have really good conversations because you really love to talk about everything and know everything about everything about everything. You LOVE details and want to know them all. I used to try and give you an age-appropriate answer, but that just annoyed you and would cause you to ask many more questions. Now I just tell you straight up and you're like, "Oh okay." You really think about everything I say and soak it all in.
As Ava has gotten older, watching the two of you play and interact is one of my favorite things ever. You can be the sweetest big brother and so nice to you, and just love it so. You still have moments of roughness, as is totally normal, but it seems like there's less of that lately and that makes me a happy mom. You love her so much that you were even willing to share nearly all of your birthday toys right away, which so impressed me. I always try and give you your space if you want to play with something by yourself, but most of the time, you are just happy to make her happy.
You also LOVE to help me, either in the kitchen or with some kind of project. As long as the helping doesn't involve picking up toys, you are right there wanting to do everything you can and with so much enthusiasm.
I know that preschool is still an adjustment for you, but you are doing really great. And I love how today when I picked you up, you were telling me a joke a girl at school told you, and you laughed so hard just retelling it. You are so cute, Asher. Just keep on being your sweet, charming self because I can't even tell you how much I enjoy your adorable personality.
Happy 4th Birthday, Asher. I love you to the moon and back.

There were times I honestly didn't know if I was going to survive age 3. I think you would agree that it's certainly had its tough moments. You found your voice and your will (which are both amazingly strong), and you learned how to assert yourself in a way that would put even 3-year-old Lea to shame (I was a little hellion, let me tell you). I always thought I would meet my match and get the payback my mom always promised (or cursed upon) me if I had a little girl, but I was wrong. It came in the form of my firstborn boy. Well played, son. Well played.
But for all the trying times, you have certainly become your own person. And I think that's really what this past year has been about. You've been soaking it all in and figuring out your place in the world and all the emotions that come with it.
You are so smart and you have a crazy good memory that I now realize you get from your dad. As with him, this can be a frustrating trait for me who wishes that certain things could be forgotten at times (i.e. that piece of paper you wanted me to save 6 months ago that you suddenly thought about and you must have right this instant!), but that memory will certainly serve you well in life. I love how you and I can have really good conversations because you really love to talk about everything and know everything about everything about everything. You LOVE details and want to know them all. I used to try and give you an age-appropriate answer, but that just annoyed you and would cause you to ask many more questions. Now I just tell you straight up and you're like, "Oh okay." You really think about everything I say and soak it all in.
As Ava has gotten older, watching the two of you play and interact is one of my favorite things ever. You can be the sweetest big brother and so nice to you, and just love it so. You still have moments of roughness, as is totally normal, but it seems like there's less of that lately and that makes me a happy mom. You love her so much that you were even willing to share nearly all of your birthday toys right away, which so impressed me. I always try and give you your space if you want to play with something by yourself, but most of the time, you are just happy to make her happy.
You also LOVE to help me, either in the kitchen or with some kind of project. As long as the helping doesn't involve picking up toys, you are right there wanting to do everything you can and with so much enthusiasm.
I know that preschool is still an adjustment for you, but you are doing really great. And I love how today when I picked you up, you were telling me a joke a girl at school told you, and you laughed so hard just retelling it. You are so cute, Asher. Just keep on being your sweet, charming self because I can't even tell you how much I enjoy your adorable personality.
Happy 4th Birthday, Asher. I love you to the moon and back.
1 comment:
So sweet. Made me get a little teary-eyed! :(
Post a Comment