Thursday, March 31, 2011

Afternoon Escapades

This afternoon, I decided to take the kids out to the backyard to play. We had already spent the morning at the park, where Ava had walked, walked, walked (her favorite activity of late, especially if she's outside!), and I figured we should get outside while we can since the temperature is already starting to soar.

We headed outside, and Asher was playing, and Ava was doing her walking thing. It was pretty warm - 95 degrees in fact. Fortunately, we have a covered patio, which makes a big difference. After a little while, I decided to run inside and grab some water for all of us. Except that when I went to pull open the screen door, it wouldn't budge. There is a pitiful old lock on it that has never seemed to work, but all of a sudden, it had locked itself. Fantastic!

I tried for about 10 minutes to see if I could jimmy it somehow, but it was not going to budge. I quickly assessed the possibilities of how to get inside. The front door was locked. My phone was inside. I could go through the side gate, but the garage was closed, and there isn't a keypad outside to allow me to open it. And all the windows were shut. I could either wait for Eric to come home, but that could be a couple hours away, and we didn't have water. Or I could run across the street to our friendly neighbors and ask to use their phone. Slightly embarrassing, but I couldn't really see any other option.

So, the kids and I walked across the street and called Eric to see if he could run home and let us in. Fortunately, he only works about 10 minutes away. The kind neighbors gave us a couple of cold bottles of water, and we headed back over to our backyard.

Everything was fine for a little bit, but then Asher started screaming hysterically because a fly was bothering him. To backtrack, he was stung by a bee last week. As a sidenote, we have been very scared about Asher getting a bee sting because we didn't know if he was allergic. So when this happened, I kept checking all over to see if he had any kind of reaction, and thankfully, he didn't (hallelujah!). However, he was already afraid of all bugs, and this only traumatized him more. So, he was basically screaming bloody murder over this fly, and then Ava started crying. It was good times! I tried singing a song about a friendly fly to calm Asher down, but it didn't seem to do anything.

And then Eric came home, and I was overjoyed! We were all hot and sweaty, and I was eager to get inside. Ava, however, wanted nothing to do with that. So, to keep her happy, I let her stay outside for quite a while longer. Finally, we just had to go inside because I had to get dinner started. And this girl was SO mad at me! She threw herself on the floor in a sobbing mess, and when I tried to pick her up, she turned away from me as if to shun me! Just turned a year and already knows how to be a drama queen!

I think that tomorrow we'll just stay inside!

2 comments:

Alison said...

Oh no! I can't believe it's that hot there already!

Stylo Geek said...

You had quite a day :P ... The good thing about it that you will remember it.. this is life have fun :)