Friday, October 8, 2010

In Which Mama Needs a Sedative

I think that Asher's daily naps are pretty much a done deal. They've been on their way out for a while, but then he would have periods of taking one without any problems, and I crossed my fingers and toes as hard as I possibly could.  But alas, it's pretty clear at this point that that it's boiled down to these two choices:

A)  Full-blown nap battle of Asher crying and wanting to talk to me repeatedly and running out of his room constantly for 45-60 minutes, followed by a full-blown bedtime battle of same for 30-90 minutes.

OR

B)  No nap (and therefore no battle) and usually no bedtime battle (or a very one if at all).

So, I guess when they say pick your battles,  so in this instance, I am going to choose none!  And he doesn't seem to need a nap and can make it through the whole day just fine (except for those Trying Threes episodes, which are unavoidable no matter what), and sometimes if I force a nap and it takes forever and he doesn't nap long enough, then he's in a horrible mood and we're worse off than when we started.  I'm sure that there will be occasions where he'll take a nap, such as if he wakes up at 4am or runs a marathon, but I think it's probably going to be a really occasional thing.

I say this with a sigh because I LOOOOOOVE naptime.  Really, truly.  I know all moms out there feel the same.  I can often get Ava to take a decent nap because the house is quiet, and then I have a nice stretch of SOLITUDE. But even if she doesn't nap, I can just relax more and get some stuff done.  

But eh, it couldn't last forever, right?  So woe is me, boohoo, blah, blah, blah. *Commence sobbing.*

4 comments:

alison said...

I am in the exact same boat and it's killing me! Lately Lily has been playing in her room for a long time and never going to sleep. I guess it's fine... but how am I going to survive without MY break?

Jennifer said...

Oh boy. Well, can I commend you on your attitude of looking at the bright side? Is he willing to have "quiet time" with a book or something?

BUT hey on the very bright side! At least it's helping with the bed time battle!

Jennifer said...

oh and one more thing - I think this is justification to move happy hour up at least 1 hour. :) it's always 5 o'clock somewhere!

Jen said...

Oh I totally feel you! I am dreading that future day of no naps!!! AHHHHH!!!

Preschool possibly? For mama-breaktime?? :)