Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Freebie Year

After my first pregnancy, I had a pleasant surprise. I lost the baby weight within a week, and then I kept on losing! Before I had gotten pregnant, there were about an extra 10 pounds that I had really wanted to lose, but it just didn't happen. So I was very thrilled for this extra bonus weight loss and felt like I had hit the jackpot through breastfeeding.

Once I had to start eliminating foods out of my diet due to Asher's food allergies, I lost even more weight. I was down to a weight that, in normal circumstances, would require me to exercise every day of the week and eat very little. I'm not very good at either of those things, so I was very grateful! And believe me, I did not take it for granted, and I loved every minute of it. It was freedom to be able to eat what I wanted (well, in terms of what I could on the special diet!), and never gain weight. The only downside was that I really wished that I could bump into old friends and ex-boyfriends while I was looking so fab. Instead, I was in my mom uniform of jeans and t-shirts, and my most exciting outing was to a playdate or to Target. I had no reason to get dressed up nice, no co-workers to impress, no cute guys in sight (well except for the hubby, of course!). But that's okay because I enjoyed it nonetheless! I felt good in my own skin.

Even though I did extended nursing with Asher, the magical weight loss started to fade away shortly after he turned a year. And by the time I got pregnant with Ava, I was back to my original weight I had been before I had gotten pregnant the first time. Yes, with those pesky ten pounds that managed to find their way back to my thighs.

But I thought.....dare I hope for another freebie year? Pretty please? I thought I was on the right track when I lost the pregnancy weight quickly once again. But then it stopped. I did lose about 5 pounds when I did the elimination diet, but as soon as I started introducing foods back into my diet, most of it came right back.

Don't get me wrong - I am so thankful that I at least lost the pregnancy weight. I'm just being a spoiled girl who wants to find gold twice. But there's no gold in sight this time, my friends. Maybe I'll lose a couple more pounds in the next few months, but I also might just as easily gain a couple more pounds.

Looks like I'll have to actually work for it this time around (boo hoo, right? I know all of you are laughing and rolling your eyes right now!). I can already tell that I've been a little too indulgent lately and that I need to eat healthier. And even if I was super skinny, I don't think my stomach will ever be the same. But at least I'm in good company because all of my friends with 2+ kids relate the same experience.

So, basically I need to get motivated if I want to be fit and somewhat toned. But before that, I think I'll go have a bowl of ice cream.

3 comments:

Meg said...

Funny! I just sent Anna to the grocery store (with Kurt) with explicit instructions to research the ice cream freezer and pick out the carton that she thought looked the absolute best-- for me! So, probably I will not be having a freebie year, either, but hey... there are more important things in life than just being skinny! Right? Like ice cream! (my verification word was phonetic for "outweigh us"! HAHAH!!)

alison said...

I know I did not set a good example but be patient - I did continue to lose weight on the glorious breastfeeding diet this time, just more slowly.

Jen said...

Well I am VERY jealous that you were able to lose every single pregnancy pound and 10 more the first time around! And the fact that you are already at your pre-pregnancy weight with a 4 month old baby?! Ridiculous.

Let's just say that you have been given the luckiest metabolism EVER! I gained like a gazillion pounds during pregnancy and when I got home from the hospital I only lost like 0.5 lb (after having delivered a 6.5 lb baby!) I thought the Gods were against me, let me tell you. It took me 10 months to get back to the magical weight. 10 months of apples and vegetables and salads with no dressing. Just sayin.

Be so happy Lea. You look amazing.