Monday, March 24, 2008

Just the Two of Us

Here we are on another fine Monday morning. The best part about going to see our families is all the extra hands who love nothing more than holding and entertaining Ash. And the worst thing about returning is that all the extra hands vanish! In prior trips, we have gotten in late, and then Eric has had to work early the next morning, so the shock was pretty severe. This time we had the sense to at least return on a Friday so that we could have the weekend to get back into the swing of things.

But it's still a little rough to wake up on Monday and discover that I'm all alone and that there's only one of me to play with A, change his diapers, dress him, and also try to manage to make meals, clean, do laundry, run errands, and all of the other necessities that fill my daily life. I know returning from a trip is also a shock to A's system because he gives me these looks like, "Why aren't you holding me, you silly woman?! What do you mean you have to get stuff done? No! I am your only priority!"

I must admit that the most attractive aspect to living in Phoenix would be being able to call up my parents and say, "Hey, I'm going to stop on over for a couple hours." Or, "I want to go get a pedicure, can I bring A over for a little while?" Or have them come over and give me some relief, especially when Eric is working long hours. Ahhh...that sounds so divine! Having so many people who just love and adore A and having them so close would definitely be ideal! Even though we have met some awesome people up here, I wish my family could be here as well. And believe me, I am very grateful that we have met people at all. I don't know what I would do without my friends! It would be a lonely life indeed. But still, we are all moms, so it's a little bit hard to be spontaneous with a bunch of babies in tow.

But for now, we'll embrace another week and shout for joy that the high is a balmy 65 degrees.
I think it's time to go for a stroller walk. It's just me and A today, but that's still pretty darn great.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Maybe when the kidlets are slightly more independent (i.e. no longer in need of boobies) we can switch off a couple of hours of babysitting so we can get those toes pampered!

I for one am glad you are back and we can't wait to hang out tomorrow!

Alison said...

I know what you mean entirely. Sometimes just regular Monday's even feel hard after a weekend of Daddy's help. Someday, in like 10 years we'll be spontaneous again!