Wednesday, February 20, 2008

It's the Little Things In Life...

Life really is all about the small stuff, no matter what they say. We excited about the small stuff, we get angry about the small stuff. Of course, it's always good to get some perspective and remember that sometimes we do need to focus on the big picture and not get so caught up in the details (like that wonderful avocado slicer I saw at Target that I am now dying to have! Oh, and they have these really cute mixing bowls, too...). However, sometimes it's just the minor, seemingly insignificant details that can really make life more pleasant. For example:

1. Bound and determined not to spend $60-$100 on an exersaucer, I have been scouring Craigslist for a used one. My friends' babies just adore these, and I would love for A to have a new toy that can keep him happy, even if it's just for 5 minutes while I do the dishes! However, these are in high demand, and although there are usually several posted during the week, either they are crappy (meaning they have little or no toys attached), or they are whisked away in the blink of an eye! I swear, it's like bidding on ebay. People must just watch and watch for new postings! So, today I decided I would make one last ditch effort to locate said exersaucer by placing my own post saying that I am looking for one. I must beat them at their own game! Lo and behold, a lady emailed me with a cute one that she had not yet posted and will sell it to me for only $20!

2. I am trying to do a Book Club, although I'm not sure how successful I will be at it seeing as how I really have little or no time to myself, let alone to read a book. But I am going to give it an honest go. I looked at the library for the first book, which is Water for Elephants, and they have one copy in the whole city (ridiculous!), so I placed it on hold back in January, even though it said that the time when it would be available was "undetermined." I just got an email that it is ready for me to pick up. This is a good thing, because I refuse to buy it, so now I can contribute to the discussion (assuming I find the time to read it, but that's a whole other issue).

3. Starbucks. Awww....gotta love some Starbucks. Today is my "soy" day (if confused, please see previous post regarding food limitations), so I met my friend, Jen, for a coffee "playdate" (sorry, babies, but this playdate was definitely for the mommies!) at Starbucks today and enjoyed a delicious Vanilla Latte (decaf, soy please).

4. Naptime. This one is actually a big deal for all mamas out there, but I'll include it anyway. A had decided recently that he wanted to only take naps while I was holding him. That just wasn't working for me for obvious reasons. So, starting last week, I really focused on getting A sleepy and laying him down, or cuddling with him until he fell asleep. He must have been ready for it, because he has done really well with it so far. Even if he only sleeps for 30 or 40 minutes, every minute is precious! Whether it's cleaning, blogging, balancing the checkbook, or catching up on Project Runway, I'll take whatever I can get! Today he even took about an hour morning nap! Keep up the good work, A!

What little things are getting you excited, or aggravated? Leave them in a comment!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Excited: I have had my eye on an inflatable bath tub for Corben. I like you am vowing to keep my spending to what is on my list so I have refrained from buying one. So today I was randomly on craigslist and one was listed for only $5! Imagine my luck that the seller was just up the street! Practically my neighbor! **Just a note: I will definately wash & sanitize many times before use.

Not Excited: I'm just not that hungry for what I'm fixing for dinner. I'd rather be having NYPD Pizza (the stew is delish I promise but it's just not sounding good now).