Thursday, January 10, 2008

Always a Bride, Never a Bridesmaid

I know, the saying is usually the other way around. But I've never been a bridesmaid! There has been this epidemic of my friends either getting divorced, breaking up, or eloping (since Eric and I basically did that, I guess I can't complain too much about it). But then, last January, my best friend, Kathy, called me with exciting news that her boyfriend had proposed and she wanted me to be a bridesmaid in her wedding! I was so excited! Unfortunately, I had also just found out I was pregnant (that was not the unfortunate part as we were thrilled about that), and the date of her wedding happened to be right at the end of my pregnancy, and her wedding was going to be in Tacoma, WA. In addition, we were moving into our house just two days before her wedding. Nervous about traveling in my 36th week of pregnancy and dealing with all of the stress of moving (that was to be our second move in a two month period), I had to say no. Alas, my heart was broken (how's that for dramatic?).

Well, as luck would have it, my brother, Chris, proposed to his girlfriend, Nikki, on Christmas with all of the family present. It was a hugely romantic and spectacular proposal. Definitely one to remember! I knew there was no guarantee I would be a bridesmaid, but I was secretly hoping....and then the other day I got flowers (exciting in and of itself!) with a card from Nikki asking me to be a bridesmaid in her wedding! The wedding is planned for September, and seeing as how I am NOT pregnant (yay for that!), I can definitely be there. And Asher will be 13 months old, which is very exciting to think about. So, finally, redemption. I am thrilled to have an occasion to dress up and look nice, especially seeing as how my day to day life really isn't glamorous at all (spit up or poop anyone?). And to be in my brother's wedding is particularly special. I can't wait!

3 comments:

Alison said...

You'll only WANT to be a bridesmaid once, trust me! You spend a lot of $$$ and inevitably don't like the dress. But everyone has to do it at least once!

The Stiners said...

I'm sure it will be a blast and how fun it will be to have a reason to dress up in something that doesn't require some sort of stretch so you can move with a baby! Can't wait to see your dress!!

Mary said...

I have not been a bridesmaid or a bride in a while but after all the money I spent for Jessie 15th birthday, I am ready to elope. But I am sure you will have fun and will look like sexy mama!!!