Thursday, September 22, 2011

Striving to be a Diamond

"A diamond is merely a lump of coal that did well under pressure."

I read this quote today, and it really hit home with me. And later, when Asher had his 3rd meltdown of the day because he was so tired after waking up at 5am, I was in the right state of mind to handle it. I managed to deflect with the situation comedy and silliness, and what do you know, all was right as rain within minutes. Later, when  Asher was upset yet again and crying uncontrollably, I simply sat on the couch and hugged him and asked him if he was having a rough day, and he choked out a, "Yes, I am..." and hugged me tighter.

Why can't I always react in this manner?

I have to admit that one of my very least favorite things about myself is that I can be impatient and get frustrated and stressed out easily. It's something I've always struggled with and am always working to change. And, as I've discovered, being a mom has provided me with some situations on a daily basis that challenge this. And some days, like today, I am up for the task and cool as a cucumber. Throw anything my way, no matter how big, and I am ready to handle it!

Unfortunately, there are also moments or days that aren't so smooth. Sometimes, when both kids are tugging at my limbs or clothes, crying and/or screaming, and Ava has just spread every dvd we own on the floor, along with the contents of a kleenex box and a cereal box, and Asher wants batteries for something or other and we don't have the right kind....or when it seems like a never ending battle of keeping Asher from torturing his sister, or being asked for something every 5 seconds...sometimes, just maybe, I am the opposite of a cool cucumber. Sometimes I get a little (or a lot) stressed out. Those are not always my shining moments.

The past couple of weeks have been a little rough around the edges. Eric has been super busy at work, (which is good in its own way), and there has only been one evening during this time where he has actually come home from work at a decent time and managed to stay home. Every other night, he has either come home very late, or had to return to work once or twice and ended up home for good  late. And, of course, these happened to fall on days where I was already wearing thin and wasn't expecting to be making dinner, cleaning up, and doing baths and bedtime without any help. In hindsight, I think if I had known this would happen, I would have mentally prepared myself so that I would have been up to the task instead of feeling grumpy and thinking, "Here we go again...ahhh!"  But that's the thing - life is full of the unexpected, and we just have to rise to the occasion, rather than being a lump of coal who maybe doesn't do so well under pressure.

The purpose of my ramblings is simply to say that I WANT to be the kind of mom who inspires my kids to be joyful and graceful under pressure, no matter what life throws their way, whether it's something simple like a rough day at school, or something more complicated like dealing with a debilitating illness. People like that are all around us - the soldier who lost an ear and has massive facial scars but still has a permanent smile on his face and just exudes positive energy. Or the mother who has four special needs children who need constant care and attention but is so patient and loving despite it all. Hearing these people's stories brings me to tears as I see how positive attitudes can change everything about your life even if you can't change the circumstances themselves.

And then I look at my life, and I think What the heck do I ever have to complain about? It's so easy to get caught up in the frustrations of our own lives, whether they are big or small. I know mine are small, and I sometimes need to take a step back and realize how great my life is, and  that messes and tantrums and demands are just kids being kids and aren't worth getting worked up about, even when it can feel so frustrating at the time.

There are always going to be those moments where we do lose our patience - it's an inevitability of parenthood - but I want those to be few and far between, and for my kids to think of me as being a really happy mom who always loved being with them, because I am and I do. 

I want Asher to remember how I could snap him out of a funk with laughter and hugs and how I could always make a bad day a little better with a touch of extra patience and compassion. 

5 comments:

Alison said...

I have so many thoughts on this subject, as there have been many times in the last few years that I've acted in ways I'm not proud of under the pressure of being a parent.

1 - I totally agree that it's very difficult when your not expecting to be on your own. Those have been some of my worst moments, when I take it out on the kids that Colin is not there. I don't know how to solve this issue, except to have a good conversation with your spouse where you tell them that you'd really rather know the honest truth that they are going to be late, rather then them pretending they will "be home soon." (Not sure if this is what happens with Eric but it is with Colin.)

2 - There are so many times that I let myself get stressed because I'm trying to do too many things. I can just sqeeuze in this errand, or this work out, or cooking this complicated dinner. I guess I'm an over acheiver. I've tried to tell myself (like the CoCo Chanel quote about fashion) "Look in the mirror and take one thing away." Meaning, scale back my ambitions by just one thing, and I seem to get less stressed.

3 - All those hero's you talk about - Mom's with 4 special needs children etc. Remember that they surely have their moment too. NONE of us is perfect.

Miss you friend! I was thinking of blogging on this exact same subject!

Meg said...

SO been there, my friend. I find myself using the (not very admirable) motivation by telling myself in the midst of a crappy day "For every time my mom blew me off I'm going to give them a hug". This doesn't actually save me or make me a better mom, but I feel like at the very least I'm hugging them enough. Even after totally losing my temper and going crazy and stressed out all over the place. Hug, hug.

And as to comparing yourself to those in worse situations... it's hard not to do, but you have try. Saying "what do I have to be upset about, compared to them?" only sets you up for major guilt, stress and worse temper and thin patience. Try to remember that, even though yes, your life is good compared to others, it's OKAY for it to be hard for you in that moment. Your trials, though not the same and maybe not as hard, as just as valid even though they are different. It's fine to allow yourself that. (can you hear my therapist's voice?). Use the example as motivation and a way to encourage your own gratitude, that's great. But it doesn't mean you are bad or "shouldn't" feel the way you do. That's only going to make it all WAY harder.

And I'll say it again, I have always thought of you as an inspiring mother. Always have, always will.

Emma said...

Hello,
It is good read your article and content. Because they are quite inspiring for me. I just shared this blog with my Facebook friends. Please keep up this good work and hope to read more in the future.
Regards.

Jen said...

I love this post. (I'm behind on my blogs, obviously.) I so relate to the frustration that comes with the unexpected late work nights.

You are a great mom! You have such a hard job with little to no breaks in your work day!!! Sometimes after a long weekend, going to work on a Monday (for me) feels like a day of relaxation in comparison! LOL!

I have to always remind myself not to compare myself to others, because you just don't know what their life is like at all hours of the day. Sure, they may seem to be the picture of Norman Rockwell lore, but everyone has their breaking points and their bad days!!! :)

kevin21 said...

Newport Cigarettes

Cheap Newport Cigarettes

Wholesale Newport Cigarettes

Discount Newport Cigarettes

Newport Cigarettes Wholesale

Newports

Newport Cigarettes Website

Cheap Newports

Cheap Newport Cigarettes Online

Cheap Newport Cartons