Saturday, October 3, 2009

Highs and Lows

This week started off great. My dad flew in on Wednesday to spend a few days with us, and Asher had the biggest smile on his face that whole day and couldn't stop giving him hugs. This was the first time where he referred to my dad by a name ("Grandpa" was just too hard to say before!), except that instead of "Grandpa," it was more like, "Acka," which is an interesting version! But oh so cute at the same time.

On the day my dad arrived, our weather was beautiful and in the 70s. He and Asher spent nearly the entire rest of the day running around outside and enjoying it. The next two days were quite a bit chillier but still sunny, so they were still able to go outside for a while and go to the park, which was exactly what my dad was hoping for. Asher had the best time! My dad probably played with him for at least 8-10 hours a day (and he can come really come up with new, fun stuff to do constantly), which is exactly why Asher loves him so (and why I love him just as much!).
Another awesome part of the weekend was the fact that Asher had his very first taste of pizza! There are some pizza places that offer a gluten-free crust, but they all still have eggs in them (another one of Asher's allergies), and then there's the issue of the cheese. I had ambitions of making my own pizza for him with soy cheese, but it just hadn't happened yet.

And then my neighbor told me about a bakery that's just a few miles from our house that offers a pizza that meets all of Asher's criteria! I ordered one right away, and it was a hit! It totally made my day for Asher to enjoy an American classic, and he really loved it! The low came when Asher unfortunately caught Hand, Foot, and Mouth disease from one of his friends who had unknowingly caught it herself. And Asher had to go and kiss her to boot (that little lover just can't help himself!). After finding out what a contagious virus it is, I knew his chances were probably high that he would get it, but I was still hoping for the best. I saw a little bump or two on Wednesday evening, but nothing seemed to happen after that, so I thought that maybe he had just gotten a very light case of it.

But then last night he started getting pretty feverish, and he tossed and turned all night and was burning up. He seemed to feel better this morning, but I did notice a bunch of extra bumps on a few areas. And then, this evening, his fever came back, and he was pulling at his mouth when he ate a few bites of food. After that, he was just so tired, and you could tell he wasn't feeling well. He even fell asleep next to me on the couch - that never happens!

Hopefully this fever and illness will leave soon and give him some relief. Unfortunately, my dad did have to leave earlier today, but at least we were all able to have a wonderful time with him while he was here. Asher can't wait to see "Acka" again!

1 comment:

Alison said...

It sounds like at least you were able to have a nice visit with Grandpa before illness overcame him! I hope he's all better ASAP.